A reader asked this question:
I've seen the posts about first dance and father-daughter dance songs that aren't overdone and cheesy. But there's another tune or two that haven't been addressed yet… The overdone “party songs” that everyone knows, and that people (who may or may not be “too cool” for stuff, like myself) will always dance and sing along to. I'm talking about “YMCA,” “Celebration,” “The Chicken Dance,” “The Electric Slide,” “Brown Eyed Girl,” …add your own ad nauseum.
I hate them. I hate how embarrassing and overdone they are. I hate that they're considered “wedding standards.” My fiancé understands, but believes that you must play them for the “older crowd” and because they're “fun.”
My dilemma is this: I kind of agree with him. People usually have fun singing them and/or doing the dance because it's easy and they know it. So I want a middle-of-the-road solution.
I'm on the hunt: What are some well-known, yet not-so-cheesy-and-“standard” songs that I can sub in for the usual wedding tunes?
I want people to know the songs, to dance and to have a good time. I just don't think I can hear “Celebrate good times COME ON!” one more time. And Van Morrison, if you're listening: my eyes are blue.
We thought we'd share a roundup of a few of our suggestions (plus a couple extras I threw in for fun) for ye olde wedding standards that won't embarrass you come dance time.
If you're a lover of the classics, then your job here is done! Have fun doing the YMCA and the Macarena all night long. Hell, I'll even join you in the Electric Slide — I'm damn good at that one. But if you're the type who can't stand to do any other Chicken Dance than this one, then this list is for you…
Group dance songs — Move over “Chicken Dance”
- Time Warp — be our latest edition to our Time Warp dance tag!
- Vogue, Madonna
- Thriller, Michael Jackson
- King Tut, Steve Martin
- Achy Breaky Heart, Billy Ray Cyrus
- Walk the Dinosaur, Was (Not Was)
- Teach Me How to Dougie (Clean Version for the grandparents), Cali Swag District
- Jump Around, House of Pain
- Hey Ya, Outkast
Classic audience pleasers — Celebrate sans “Celebration”
- Sweet Caroline, Neil Diamond
- Love Shack, The B-52s
- Don't Stop Believin', Journey
- Livin' On A Prayer, Bon Jovi
- Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Queen
- Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go, Wham!
- Come On Eileen , Dexys Midnight Runners
- I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles), The Proclaimers
- I Wanna Dance With Somebody, Whitney Houston
- Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic, The Police
- Stuck In The Middle With You, Stealers Wheel
- Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours), Stevie Wonder
- Do You Love Me, The Contours
- You're The First, The Last, My Everything, Barry White
General musical genres and instrumentals — Not just for cocktail hour
You could also just stick to musical genres that lend themselves to danceability like Salsa, Swing, Big Band, Motown, and Jazz standards. And then there was this suggestion from Tribesmaid erinfrisby:
Now it's your turn. Your favorite non-embarrassing wedding standards — go!