Any vinyl nerds in the house? If you and your partner are New York-area music geeks, I think we just found your wedding DJ!
If you're looking for a loud MC, smoke machines, and line dances, look elsewhere. Our sponsor DJ Ali Gruber keeps it simple, using her degree in music history, along with her analog equipment and amazing vinyl record collection, to provide the eclectic soundtrack to your wedding.
To learn more about our girl, watch this video and read these words…
That right there, is a video of errybody getting down at a wedding — parents, kids, friends — the entire guest list grooving to Ali's tunes. Or as Ali put it, “a bumpin' dance party that spans generations.” Or as one of her colleagues put it…
DJ Ali's spinning is like a family dinner where all the crazy uncles, hopped up cousins, and wise grandmotherly types gather in your ear. The songs she selects are like old familiar relatives you didn't even know you missed, but are so glad they showed up. Her mixes have all the fixin's, and you leave her parties fully satisfied. -Juan Estrella of “Bad Princess,” New Paltz, NY
Wanna sneak peek of some of those “mixes with all the fixins”? Here are some of Ali's choices from her “songs I'm dancing to right now” list:
- Be My Baby, The Ronettes
- I Was Made To Love Her, Stevie Wonder
- Ain't That Peculiar, Marvin Gaye
- Do Me, Jean Knight
- Gimme Your Love, Sisters Love
- Iko Iko, The Belle Stars
- I Got The…, Labi Siffre
- September, Earth, Wind and Fire
- Don't Leave Me This Way, Thelma Houston
- He's The Greatest Dancer, Sister Sledge
- I Can't Wait, Nu Shooz
- Groove Is In The Heart, Deee-Lite
- Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', Michael Jackson
- My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It), En Vogue
- Family Affair, Mary J. Blige
- Around The World, Daft Punk
- Whatta Man, Salt ‘n' Pepa
- Galang, M.I.A.
- Murder She Wrote, Chaka Demus and the Pliers
- American Boy, Estelle
Killer taste, ammaright? From the Motown sound to a Tribe Called Quest, and all of the french pop/disco/afro-boogie/girl groups/dancehall tunes you can think of, Ali's probably spinning it. She curates her collection specifically for each event, with (as she puts it) “the purest intentions of inspiring a really sweaty dance party.”
So if you want to let the music take the lead, without hiding behind flashy lights and loud MCing, then you want to have a sweaty dance party with DJ Ali Gruber!