We have quite a lot of kids coming to our wedding, of all ages! Thanks to Offbeat Bride and Etsy I fell in love with the idea of custom activity books for them. But, checking out the other books, I immediately thought, how can I make these books even more inclusive?
I wanted a book that was:
- not hetero-normative
- not Western-normative (ie. uses names that aren't just John and Bob and doesn't exoticize the weddings of other cultures, but rather embraces that weddings are about ever-changing traditions)
- not Western-wedding-normative (ie. doesn't assume a bridal party or a three-tiered cake)
Basically, I needed the children's activity book equivalent of the “Greendale Human Being!”
For example, I found a logic problem where seemingly white boys had crushes on white girls, but I re-wrote the entire thing to include not only a variety of names, but boys having crush on boys as well. I also thought of writing a story but got sucked into a swirling black hole of my mind asking “how do I write a story that doesn't promote marriage, but isn't against marriage?” Like one where some gender-non-conforming animals end up in polygamous marriages, but some stay single, and some get divorced later happily, and some stay married by choice… you get the picture. (Note: the activity book is still fairly cis-gendered).
If you're still reading, you are probably shaking your head at me in disbelief or nodding enthusiastically. If you're one of the ones nodding enthusiastically, I thought I'd share my files, so you can adopt it for your own wedding…
- First, download the powerpoint of the activity book in order AND the powerpoint of the activity book for printing.
- Download the fonts “Rock Salt” and “Coming Soon” from Google Fonts.
- Second, customize it for you and your partner.
- Print the file powerpoint for printing, double-sided, on legal size paper
- Fold them, and, for an added touch, bind them together using coloured embroidery thread. (I used the method shown here to sew the booklet together)
I gave them out with little party packs of crayons for kids and adulty-kids to both enjoy!