How to get married in Los Angeles
Getting married in Los Angeles is super popular and it's easy to see why. The city is FULL of gorgeous venues, exciting places to fill out a whole wedding weekend, and tons of amazing photo ops, dining, and cultural experiences for your guests. But it can also be super pricey, super crowded, and you'll need to know how to navigate all the legal requirements for making it official in Los Angeles.
We've got everything from the nitty-gritty of how to get legally married in Los Angeles, to a few of our favorite Los Angeles weddings, to special tips for how to save money in Los Angeles.
Skip to what you need:
Tips for planning a wedding in Los Angeles
Budgeting efficiently in Los Angeles is key as it is one of the most expensive cities in the United States to get married. But you can totally cut your costs by limiting your guest list, choosing off-season dates, and avoiding heavily trafficked weekends like entertainment awards season in January and February and the LA Marathon in March. Check with your venue AND local hotels to see if there any big events that could cause you issues with pricing, parking, and hotel block rates.
Ways to save in your Los Angeles wedding budget:
- Look into non-traditional venues like restaurants for hosting smaller gatherings.
- Choose in-season flowers for your decor OR opt for no flowers and decorate with items that mean something to you instead (board games? Funko Pop?)
- Prioritize what's important to you and minimize the rest: if great food and a good photographer are important, see if you can skip things like a limo, a huge cake, and expensive favors.
Thankfully, Los Angeles wedding weather is pretty predictable — warm with little rain. Keep in mind that the temperatures on the coast will be about 20 degrees lower than the rest of the city. If you're worried about beating the heat in warmer months, click here for some tips on staying cool.
How to get legally married in Los Angeles
All couples who want to get married in Los Angeles and all of California must obtain a marriage license. You'll want to see all of the documents and requirements you'll need to fulfill at the LA County Clerk's Office. You can begin your application online and will need to complete it in person.
If you're having a friend officiate your wedding (yep, you totally can in Los Angeles!), check here for information on how to get ordained in Los Angeles.
Changing your name in Los Angeles
If you're planning to change your name after the wedding, get a few copies of your license to have on hand when obtaining your new documents. Hit up your local Social Security office, update your Passport, head to the DMV, and update your voter registration.
Los Angeles wedding officiant requirements
Los Angeles does not require minister registration before performing a marriage, though it varies by the town in the rest of the state. You should always check with the local city or town clerk to check that your officiant can perform the wedding in that jurisdiction. Call the city or town clerk’s office where you intend to get married. Here's more on how to become an officiant in Los Angeles.
Source and more info: American Marriage Ministries
Offbeat Los Angeles wedding vendors
You may think finding skilled wedding vendors in Los Angeles is easy — it's a huge city after all! But you may be overwhelmed with options and might have to do some research to find vendors who work with all budgets and all styles. You can find offbeat-friendly Los Angeles and greater California wedding vendors in our Vendor Guide including:
- Wedding photographers in Los Angeles
- Accessory designers & jewelers
- Wedding officiants
- Wedding venues & transportation
- Wedding Planners
- Hair and makeup artists
- Entertainment companies & DJs
- Bakeries and caterers
- And lots more Los Angeles wedding vendors
Don't miss our online vendors, too, for honeymoon registries, stationery, gifts, ketubahs, rings, guests books, wedding websites, and more.
Some of our favorite Los Angeles weddings
Take a peek at some of the most fun offbeat weddings in Los Angeles. Don't forget to scroll to the bottom of each to find out who they chose for their Los Angeles wedding vendors!
- You have to see this bride's tuxedo outfit AND their little girl ring bearer in a dapper suit
- Krystal & Matthew's red carpet premiere film noir wedding
- Mary & Mike's most amazing retro sci-fi space station rollerskating wedding
- This genderqueer, sweets-loving, carousel wedding will have you in circles
- '90s hip hop and heart-melting top ten lists at this chic urban downtown LA wedding
- This fire dancing couple had a fab fiery wedding full of style & humor
What did we miss about getting married in Los Angeles?
Email us your wedding planning tips and favorite Los Angeles vendors!
Ready to start planning a Los Angeles wedding? Head to our Tools page for wedding planning resources, our big planning checklist, editable planning spreadsheets, and TONS of wedding planning help and info.