My partner and I have talked about getting married for a while now. But we're not officially engaged. I want to propose to him with the ring that would then become his wedding band.
The problem is… I want to make it a surprise, and I don't know his ring size. We don't even have a ring that fits him at the moment on which to base the size from!
Does anyone know other sneaky ways to find their partner's ring size? -ladyhatfield
Obviously, the best way is to steal the sizing from a ring your partner usually wears, but that's not the approach you can take in this case.
I once helped a friend get his girlfriends' ring size by getting her to try on my wedding ring. It fit her finger, so we went with my ring size. Does your boyfriend have a ring-wearing friend that might help you come up with a reason to get him to try on their ring?
What about just purchasing a ring with your best guess on size and then having it re-sized if need be?
Here are a few other ideas:
- Ask family members if they know.
- Enlist a friend to be sneaky. One Offbeat Bride told us: “My partner enlisted the help of a good friend of mine. She works for Urban Outfitters so she emailed me and said they were having a sample sale and there are some really cute rings I might like, what are the ring sizes of your fingers so I can see if any of them will fit you. So I sent her my ring size for ALL my fingers! Sneaky! Then I forgot all about it.”
- Are they a heavy sleeper? Measure their ring finger with a piece of string or dental floss while they're snoozing. One reader told us “He slipped a sizer on me while I was sleeping. I actually did wake up a bit but it just seemed like he was grabbing/holding my hand in my sleep and I never thought about it again until he confessed later.”
- Get a ring sizing set for yourself “just for fun” and then have them try it. “I bought a ring sizing set and was playing around with them and asked my boyfriend if he knew his ring size. He is very curious and wanted me to check. Worked like a charm 😉
or how about THIS clever method:
Here's what I did:
– Order free ring-sizer from ring vendor (yes, they do this!)
– Have my sister declare that she wanted to knit gloves for him for Christmas and needed to measure his fingers
– Hide in the kitchen and eavesdrop
One very important thing to note: while gold, silver, or platinum rings can be resized, tungsten carbide rings can NOT be resized.
What about you guys! What sneaky methods did you come up with to get your partners ring size?