Offbeat partner: Mickey, Agent Provocateur of Love
Offbeat partner: Tava, Beauty Operator
Date and location of wedding: ACT Theatre – Bullitt Cabaret — September 10, 2016
Our offbeat wedding at a glance:
Tell us about the ceremony:
Guests were greeted by tuxedo-ed ushers on stilts and swiftly escorted to the bar. For early entertainment, we had an aerialist performing her hoop act accompanied by selections of songs from all the Lynch films and a lighting scheme based around reds and blues to accent the black and white decor.
In attendance were esteemed guests such as Duff-Man, Mr. Confetti, members of Cirque Macabre, and Mr. Peanut. Upon announcement from the ring leader, our bridal party arrived in rose red gowns for the girls and blue velvet tuxedos for guys. Our flower girl (dressed as a flower with a head piece) and Ring Bear (not a misprint) came down the stairs to be followed by me (the groom) in black velvet tuxedo and handmade ribbon (we are huggers so flowers tend to get crushed).
Next came the most beautiful bride in a vintage-inspired tea length dress (refer to end scene of Gentleman Prefer Blondes) and hair immaculate under a vintage veil. It was the first and only time I have ever seen a standing ovation with roaring applause/shouts/hollers/whistles for a bride coming down the aisle. Instant tears.
She magically worked “Forever in Blue Jeans” lyrics into her vows. Too nervous and hating what I had written, I dramatically tore my notes up in front of the whole audience and just winged it to moderate success. Tears and a passionate kiss were shared and deals were sealed. With the lights cut to a red-only scheme, we excited up the stairs to the wonderful Alex Pickle singing "In Heaven" (Eraserhead) with ukulele accompaniment.
Tell us about your reception:
After the photos were taken, we arrived back at the venue. A small box was wheeled into the center of the waiting crowd. Endora (flower girl) knocked on the too small box and out came Ms. Kelly the contortionist to announce us (who had secreted back in and at the top of the stairs). A huge line was formed to greet us and many hugs were shared. Food and the rest of the liquor was quickly depleted, cake was cut (complete with glass terrarium as a layer), we were made a Lord and Lady of Ireland (best wedding present ever), toasts were made and dances were danced.
A post-reception highlight was to be greeted at the Fairmont Olympic Hotel with cheering/applause from the staff and unaware hotel guests for a quick snack, then off to Soul Night at the Lo-Fi lounge to end the evening.
What was your most important lesson learned?
The challenge was too many good ideas and the brutality of editing. After that, just know that approx. 70% of what you plan will happen and the other 30% will fall by the wayside on the day of the wedding. I tried to alleviate this with as much planning, detailing, sketching, and run-through, but fate isn't always the biggest fan of weddings. This was my gift to my new bride and at the end of it all, if she was smiling and happy, then I did my job.
- Photographer: Lydia Brewer Photography and Brendan Schriane
- Cake: Morfey's Cake
- Dress: I Do Bridal
- Tux: ASOS
- Venue: ACT Theatre