His offbeat partner: Emma, Graphic Designer
Date and location of wedding: Music Hall of Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY — August 17, 2013
Our offbeat wedding at a glance: 500 people. Four bands. Two meals. 500 cupcakes.
We had a dance party until 4:00 a.m. and lots of sci-fi themes. The venue was a rock club where we've seen some of our favorite bands, and was only one block from our house.
Tell us about the ceremony:
The readings were the worst rock lyrics ever (from New Order), and a Klingon love poem. The pastor was from The Church of the SubGenius. Emma's entrance music was a custom arrangement of Annie Lennox arranged by Sean Drinkwater, the best man.
Our biggest challenge:
The hardest challenge of a big wedding is that you get this once-in a-lifetime moment to have everyone important to you, and who has ever been important to you, in one room, but you barely get to talk to any one of them for very long at all. Some people did not know what they were in for. You have to work hard to let them know how appreciative of them you are, even if you don't get to talk to them very much. It can be hard. Some people felt slighted. Make extra time with out-of-towner events the night before and morning after, if you can. If I had it to do over again, I might have warned people.
My funniest moment:
The biggest laugh was from a line of Emma's vows: “Like Buffy, if you turn to evil, I will put a stake through your heart.”
What was the most important lesson you learned from your wedding?
Being a groom planning a wedding is pretty hilarious. Many people don't want to talk to you. They assume the bride's an easier target, or wants something you don't care about. Everything costs more than you think, which is fine if you give yourself enough time, but I didn't start early enough. Typical male… just kidding!
Care to share a few vendor/shopping links?
- Photography: Aga Matuszewska
- Dress: Vera Wang for David's Bridal, hand-altered to add a black bow.
- Catering: La Esqina and Vinnie's Pizzeria
- Cupcakes: Baking for Good, a NY-Based charity bakery
- Flowers: DM Events
- Drapes: Drape King
- Wedding Planners: Jove Meyer and Ali Vingiano (friend of the couple)
- Photo booth: Nicky Digital
- Hair: Meaghan Costello, The Parlour, Brooklyn and Kellianne Benson for the bridesmaids
- Makeup: Ingo Pixel
- Bands: Freezepop, Lifestyle, Rockets Burst from the Streetlamps, and Plushgun
- DJs: Videodrome, and Mallory and Bianca of Small Girls PR
- Lighting: Levy Lighting & Stars
- Rick's tux and shirt: Isaia
- Grooms Bow Ties: The Tie Bar
- Bride's shoes: Amazon
- Printing: Couer Noir Specialty Printing
- Venue: Bowery Presents
- Matchbook printing: Fat Rat Press
- Photobooth Props: Amazon and Think Geek
- Chairs and tables: Broadway Rentals
- Photo Booth Backdrop: Photo Pie Backdrops
- Graphic Design: The bride
Enough talk — show me the wedding porn!