Before there was offbeatbride.com, there was Ariel's wedding memoir, Offbeat Bride: Creative Alternatives for Independent Brides (Seal Press 2007; second edition February 2010).
Mostly memoir with a bit of tipster handbook tossed in, Offbeat Bride offers 200 pages of inspiration, encouragement, advice, and celebration of aisles less traveled.
Presented in 47 quick chapters, ranging from "The Pressure and the Proposal" all the way to "A Rose by Any Other (Last) Name," Offbeat Bride is filled with sanity-saving tips, advice, and stories to reassure even the most out-there, nontraditional bride that she's downright normal.
The book can be purchased on the Intarwebs from Amazon.com, or if you'd rather buy indie (yes, please do!), ask for it at your local independent bookseller. If they don't have it, they can order it for you. You can also find or order the book at all chain bookstores in the US and Canada.
13 reasons you need to read the book and not just the website:
- The book came first, and you want to know the back-story behind the website.
- You want to know how to save money by starting your own wedding co-op (page 77)
- Even if you're not engaged yet, it's a funny-as-hell memoir packed with LOLs. If you're worried about your not-yet-fiancé freaking out about you reading a wedding book, just tell 'em a friend wrote it.
- You're looking for the whole story about why Ariel's mom was talking about "Humanure" the night before the wedding (page 141)
- Because you want to know the one question you should ask anyone you're considering as a wedding photographer (page 151)
- You want to know how to deal with stoners at your wedding reception (page 179)
- You want to read the world's only wedding book that includes the phrase "ass-fucking"
- You need to know what information you should put on your "wedsite" (page 37)
- You want to be the awesome friend who gives engaged couples the one wedding book that won't make them feel awful about themselves.
- Because you want great stories that have never appeared on offbeatbride.com.
- You want to know what one article of wedding attire you should never drive in (page 49)
- You're worried about post-wedding depression and the frustration of "getting wifed" (page 202)
- Because you love this website and want to support the woman who supports you!