Our wedding is shaping up to be 4th of July weekend… and it's gonna be hot. I've kind of got my heart set on having at least part of our wedding day outside, but man, the heat.
I'm concerned about our elderly guests, and then those friends who may over indulge on drinks. I'd really rather not move everything inside. What do you think? -bluefoote
We already gave you some great ideas on how to keep warm on your wedding day, but what if it looks like your date is smack dab in the midst of a summer scorcher? I know it's hard for some of you to imagine being all hot and sweaty because it might only be April, but we know that some of you are already starting to plan your summer wedding. Here are a few ideas of things you can do to help you and your guests feel more comfortable on a hot wedding day.
Avoid the heat
- Adjust the time. Push the ceremony back so it's as late in the evening as possible. Think about a sunset wedding or a nighttime wedding.
- Keep it short. Have a short ceremony and then bring the reception inside.
- Find a venue near water. Lakeside or beach wedding anyone? Or, hell, get married ON the water on a boat — the breeze from a moving ship should keep everyone cool.
- Shade is your friend. Definitely try to set up your ceremony in a shady location.
Cope with the heat
- Have a pool party wedding. Pool parties are the coolest parties. (See what I did there?) You can totally take the "first plunge" instead of a first dance.
- Fans and parasols. Turn your wedding programs into fans, or have fans readily available as favors. Or set out a bucket full of cheap paper parasols.
- Dress code. Dress in breathable fabrics and inform your guests to dress for the heat — shorts, flip flops, light cotton shirts, sun dresses etc.
- Hydration station. Have water, iced tea, and/or lemonade readily available
- Hose it down! Spray down any concrete, stone, or brick areas with a garden hose to it cool off.
- Rent tents. If there's no natural shade to be found, you can rent large tents to provide an escape from the sun.
- Misters. You can get yourself an outdoor mist cooling system, hook it up to your garden hose, and set these fabulous misters up anywhere.
- Frosty treats. Treat your guests to cool treats like popsicles or these awesome DIY ice pops.
Your turn! What ways are you planning on beating the heat on your wedding day?