Her offbeat partner: Wayne, Management Accountant
Location & date of wedding: My Back Garden, Kent Countryside, UK — June 26, 2010
What made our wedding offbeat: I tried to make as much by hand as possible, not just to save money, but to make the wedding truly ours. I love color, so I used it everywhere possible. We thought of all the things we love — sweets, doughnuts, bunting, rock 'n' roll, Morris Minors, polka dots — and combined them all in one day!
We were married in our local registry office, then had a sit down meal in our local country pub, then finished the day off with a big knees up in our back garden.
We collected lots of jam jars and old bottles for decoration and spent only £45 on flowers for the tables, which we bought from our local supermarket.
I have only ever been to traditional weddings before, but knew I really didn't want to go down that road as I didn't feel comfortable with the idea, and to be honest I dreaded the idea of a wedding until we realized we could do it how we wanted and without breaking the bank!! It was such a pretty, colorful, fun day. I felt totally comfortable and happy, and judging by the smiles, so did everyone else!
- The brief moments my new hubby and I managed to be alone. Only inviting the people we love and care about.
- Making sure I really meant the words in my vows — even if it did mean I started crying (which set everyone else off!).
My advice for offbeat brides: Use: eBay, Freecycle, Twitter, Flickr, research, and spreadsheets. Start early and keep a list of everything you buy, borrow, make. Really imagine yourself on the day, and make sure everything will flow together. Draw up detailed maps. Set up a wedding blog or website with information for everyone.
- Photography: Amanda Stewart
- Wedding planning: Haylie at Violet Weddings
- Bouquets + Buttonholes: Girlflower
- Wedding Dress: Sass Tetzlaff
- Petticoat: Annabella Designs
- Morris Minor: Andrew "Charlie" Chaplin
- Chocolate Fountain: Chocoholics Delight
- Band: Greggi G and his Crazy Gang
- Wedding Rings: Charmian Beaton
- Marquee: Four Jays Group
- Letterpress Invitations: Blush Publishing
Enough talk — show me the wedding porn!