I am truly thankful for all of the gifts we've gotten, and having to write all of these thank yous to everyone is not something I'm going to whine about. But let's be honest — it's not easy to come up with crap to say when you have dozens of thank yous to write… especially when someone got you something really cool, but it's from your registry. It's like, "Wow, thanks for getting me the thing that I picked out, it's GORGEOUS! I have such great taste!" Then there are things like kitchen towels/cloths that you really really wanted and got, and want to say thanks, but it's freaking boring to go, "OMG I WAS DYING TO HAVE THESE MULTICOLORED FOOD NETWORK DISH CLOTHS! YOU ARE THE BESTEST!" And wow, does that sound effing domestic or what?
Anyway, here are some stock phrases and other ideas I came up with during my own thank you writing process. They might not be the exact right tone for you or your loved ones or the gifts you got, but if you're having this same issue of writer's block with too many to write out, maybe it'll help you brainstorm…
For gifts from your registry or useful household stuff:
- "I really love this XXXX. It will look great in our living room/kitchen/bedroom."
- "How did you know this was the thing that I wanted most from the registry?"
- "Thanks for the towels — now I can throw away FH's old falling apart ones!"
For gift cards or cash:
- "This will really help us out with some things we need for our new home."
- "We used this/plan to use this to buy XXXXXXX/pay for honeymoon/etc."
- "You are way too generous!"
For unique decor:
- "We can't wait to find a special place for this in our home."
- "It's really gorgeous, you have great taste."
- "WTF is this supposed to be?" (Just kidding… I would avoid statements like this!)
For hosts & hostesses:
- "Thank you so much for helping plan a great shower. I hope I can do the same for you."
- "I loved the decor/food/etc.!"
For thematic gifts:
(For example, my mom's roommate got us s'more supplies and roasting sticks, along with camping dishes; my cousin got us a little laundry bin filled with cleaning supplies. Both super awesome gifts, I think!)
- "What a brilliant idea — I'm going to steal this the next time I have to buy a shower gift!"
- "This has to be the most creative and thoughtful gift I have gotten so far!"
One of my friends said not to send her a thank you… she thinks they are dumb because people just throw them away. My thank you to her said, "This isn't a thank you, since you said you didn't want one. This is just a note to tell you how much my hand hurts from writing all these thank yous. But the gift you got me was really cool!"
Another friend and I had this five subject notebook in high school we used to write notes back and forth. The back section was labeled "Cartoon Section." It was not for notes, but for hilarious, nonsensical pictures and comics we drew for each other. In addition to the proper thank you in the card, I blocked off a Cartoon Section and drew something hilarious that only she would understand.
My mom got me a nightie with a matching silk robe, which apparently is what she got my sister for a shower gift and what her mother got her. It's meant to be a wedding night outfit. I wrote, "Thanks for the great new outfit! Am I supposed to wear this to work or what?"
(For if you just said thanks for the whatever and need to fill up more space to make it worth the stamp.)
- "It was great to see you again!" (If you saw them.)
- "Hope to see you again soon!" (If you didn't.)
- "Sorry we missed you at shower/recent family event/etc."
- "Hope your baby/dog/cat/hamster is doing well; we'd love to see pictures!"
- "I can't believe (insert child's name) is getting so big! She/he looks just like (insert appropriate relative's name)."
- "I hope you and (significant other) can get together with FH and I sometime soon!"
Share your favorite clever thank you templates in the comments!